2016 CHEVROLET TRAVERSE OFFERS ONSTAR 4G LTE CONNECTIVITY
Already the perfect crossover SUV for those looking for a roomy interior, advanced safety features and a comfortable ride, the 2016 Chevrolet Traverse is adding connectivity to its long list of attributes.
OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with a Wi-Fi hotspot is new for 2016. It complements Chevrolet MyLink, providing a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected anytime, anywhere.
The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial, after which the owner can purchase additional data.
For 2016, Traverse is offered in LS, LT (1LT and 2LT trims) and LTZ models, in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. LS and LT seat up to eight passengers and are powered by a 3.6L V-6 engine that uses gasoline direct injection technology, which optimizes performance and efficiency – including EPA-rated 24 mpg on the highway (FWD models).
Several advanced safety features help protect occupants while on the road. Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning features are crash-avoidance technologies that use a camera and sensors to help determine when the driver is getting too close to a vehicle ahead, or when the vehicle enters another lane without using a turn signal. They alert the driver with visual cues on the dashboard, as well as audible signals.
Chevrolet’s heritage is front and center on the Traverse, with the classic gold bowtie positioned on a three-bar grille. An athletic stance incorporates distinctive front and rear fascias on Traverse and includes a power dome hood, streamlined headlamps and fog lamps, chrome accents and sculpted front corners.
Wheel designs offered in 17-, 18- and 20-inch sizes complement the sleek lines and stature of the exterior. Of course, Traverse is as stylish as it is functional. Built on a body-frame integral structure that allows for easy entry and exit, it was also engineered to allow a smooth entrance to the second- and third-row seats with wide rear doors and GM’s exclusive Smart Slide second-row seat feature.
Additional exterior features include:
- A power liftgate standard on 2LT and LTZ models
- Chrome door handles standard on all models; full chrome side window molding standard on the LTZ
- Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding mirrors with driver-side auto-dimming, body color with integrated turn signal indicators standard on the LTZ
- Exterior colors Iridescent Pearl, Mosaic Black Metallic, Siren Red Tintcoat, Sable Metallic, Blue Velvet Metallic, Tungsten Metallic, Silver Ice, Summit White and Champagne Silver Metallic.
Traverse provides a comfortable ride with class-leading interior space and flexible seating for seven or eight adults. It also boasts more cargo-carrying capacity than any other vehicle in its segment.
The interior of the Traverse features premium materials such as soft-touch surfaces on the instrument panel and front door uppers, contrasting stitching, chrome and silver accents, and available blue ambient lighting that glows throughout the cabin. A center stack houses illuminated climate controls and showcases a 6.5-inch-diagonal color touch radio with the available Chevrolet MyLink or MyLink with Navigation infotainment systems.
MyLink includes large, easy-to-use controls and intuitive menus that help customers quickly and easily choose the level of connectivity that works for them. MyLink enables customers to seamlessly integrate their smartphones for hands-free calling through the audio system and Bluetooth streaming of popular internet radio favorites Pandora and Stitcher.
Convenient connectivity features not only include the OnStar 4G with LTE, but also text message support and Siri Eyes Free. With text message support, the driver can be alerted to new messages and can have them read aloud, view and respond to them (functionality depends on the smartphone). Siri Eyes Free enables iPhone users to access Siri via the steering wheel controls and check calendar entries, have text messages read and respond to them, place calls or call up music.
Android phone users can also use the steering wheel controls to access their phone’s voice recognition features.
Additional interior features include:
- A new Leather and Driver Confidence Package, with leather-appointed seating, eight-way power driver and passenger seats, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert and power-folding driver-side auto-dimming body-color mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators is available on LT
- Eight-way power passenger seat is available
- Articulating head restraints in the front seats that can be adjusted for comfort
- USB port on the lower area of the center stack for the driver or front passenger
- Two charging-only USB ports on the back of the center console for second-row use
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio standard on all models, with a three-month trial
- A heated steering wheel standard on LTZ; a leather-wrapped steering wheel standard on LT and LTZ
- Remote keyless entry standard on all models
- Interior colors include Ebony/Saddle Up, Light Titanium/Dark Titanium, and Ebony.
Features for the family
A host of family-friendly features fills the Traverse, passing the “parent test” with flying colors. A roomy SUV with a car-like ride, Traverse offers families three standard rows of seating on all models, flexible seating configurations, class-leading people and cargo-carrying capacity, plus entertainment features geared toward families.
Traverse’s second-row seat comes with a pair of captain’s chairs or a three-passenger bench. Each configuration implements Traverse’s child-friendly, second-row SmartSlide feature that allows unobstructed access to the third-row bench seat with one hand, which makes it easy for children to operate.
The third-row seat can comfortably accommodate three adult passengers. Traverse’s 24.4 cubic feet (691 liters) of cargo room behind its third row is larger than that of many sport utility vehicles.
Other features for the family include:
- The most storage in the segment
- Safety belts that are simple to operate
- Up to 12 cup holders
- An available rear-seat entertainment system
- Easy-to-clean leather seats.
Performance and efficiency
Traverse has a long 118.9-inch wheelbase (3,021 mm), with a wide 67.3-inch (1,709 mm) front track and 67.1-inch (1,704 mm) rear track – a combination that enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics.
A technically advanced 3.6L V-6 with fuel-saving direct injection technology and continuously variable valve timing offers a great deal of efficiency in Traverse. The V-6 is mated with a six-speed automatic transmission with improved shift feel for more confident acceleration when the driver needs additional power when passing or entering the highway.
The engine is SAE-certified at 288 horsepower (215 Nm) and 270 lb-ft of torque (366 Nm) with dual exhaust on LTZ models and 281 hp/210 kW and 266 lb-ft /361 Nm with single exhaust on LS and LT. Its direct injection fuel delivery helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines, using regular unleaded gasoline. EPA fuel economy estimates of 17 mpg city/24 mpg highway for the front-wheel drive Traverse are highly competitive with other three-row crossovers, utilities and minivans.
Available intelligent all-wheel-drive system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention, as the system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Traverse also offers utility-like towing capacity of up to 5,200 pounds (2,358 kg).
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Traverse is recognized for its safety features by leading third-party organizations and in government crash testing.
Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning are standard on LTZ and available on 2LT models. They employ a high-resolution camera mounted on the windshield to determine if the driver is too close to vehicles ahead. There are visual signals, as well as audible alarms, to warn the driver of a possible collision. Sensors also can detect if the vehicle is changing lanes without a turn signal to give the driver time to correct.
Another Traverse safety component is the industry’s first front center side air bag. It is engineered to provide additional restraint to drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes, where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle. If a severe impact occurs, the air bag deploys in milliseconds from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and inflates between the driver and front passenger, providing added protection for both front occupants.
Additional safety and security features include:
- Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert are standard on LTZ and available on other models. These systems use radar to watch spots the driver may not see and provide visible and audible warnings to help prevent collisions
- Head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for outboard occupants in all seating rows are standard. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation technology and full-function traction control is standard on all models.
- A rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with a view of the rearward path of the vehicle is standard
- A four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation is standard
- Safety belt pretensioners reduce forward movement during a collision, and are standard on front safety belts, along with load-limiting retractors that help limit the belts’ impact on the occupants’ chest. The LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in outboard second-row seating positions
- A tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models
- A strong body structure absorbs crash energy and provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants
- Hill start assist is standard and helps reduce the tendency of a vehicle to roll forward or backward on a hill after the brake pedal is released by momentarily retaining pressure on the brakes.
OnStar 4G LTE
Traverse passengers can stream away with the addition of OnStar 4G LTE connectivity with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. This new service provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected anytime, anywhere.
The most current and fastest mobile data network, 4G LTE is 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
Six months of OnStar Guidance service is also standard on Traverse. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. An opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.