Chevrolet Express Commercial Cutaway
BUILDING THE FOUNDATIONS FOR SUCCESS: THE 2016 CHEVROLET EXPRESS CUTAWAY
The 2016 Chevrolet Express Cutaway is loved by up-fitters and customers alike for its fantastic flexibility and the durability of its three optional wheelbases, dual or single rear wheels, and triple engine choices - including the almighty 6.6L turbo-diesel Duramax. The Express Cutaway has introduced even more amazing features for 2016, capable of performaing a wide variety of different tasks, all with aesthetic excellence.
For 2016, the Express will feature a 159-inch wheelbase with a 9,900 lbs GVWR alongside higher GVWRs on the 3500 models, such as 10,100 lbs, 10,0050 lbs and 12,300 lbs. The seriously heavy-duty 4500 models have a max GVWR capability of 14,200 lbs
Just some of the additional highlights that you can expect to appreciate with the 2016 Chevrolet Express Cutaway this year include:
- Digital radios with additional CD and USB
- Instrument panel with 110-volt outlet
- Side-cut keys as standard
- Turn-by-turn navigation and available OnStar
- Rear locking differential available (comes as standard with the ambulance YF2-code package)
- Antilock four-wheel disc brakes
- Dedicated LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) pack available on 4500 models with 6.0L engine
- Available V-8 Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel engine with automatic 6-speed transmission
- Available V-8 6.0L and 4.8L gas engine with automatic 6-speed transmission
- 177-inch, 159-inch and 139-inch wheelbase options
Special packages of equipment are also available for shuttle buses, school buses, RVs, and ambulance constructions.
The Cutaway Exterior Features
- A brand new range of potential colors to choose from for the exterior, including: Metallic Brownstone, Yellow Wheatland, Red Hot, Summit White, Green Metallic, Black, Deep Blue Metallic, Gray Metallic and Silver Metallic
- Dural rear wheels are available on 3500 models and standard on 4500 models
- Sail-panel-mounted, wide-stance mirrors outside are available
- Standard 16-inch steel wheels
- Power-adjustable and heated exterior folding mirrors available on 3500 models
- Heavy duty LED flashers as standard
- Available chrome appearance package including chrome grille and front bumper with dual composite headlamps, or black-painted bumpers as standard
The Express Cutaway Interior Features
- Available keyless entry and remote vehicle starter system
- Available leather wrapped steering wheel
- Standard side cut keys
- Dash with standard 110 volt outlet
- Indicator brake warning available
- 12-volt power outlets (2) located on dash as standard
- Standard driver information center
- Available Satellite SiriusXM radio
- Available range of digital systems for audio incluidng MP3/CD capability navigation and USB port on all models
- Power windows, power locks and cruise control available
- Standard air conditioning
The Duramax Diesel 6.6L Powertrain
The 2016 Chevrolet Express Cutaway offers drivers the chance to experience the amazing performance of the powerful V-8 Duramax turbo-diesel engine. Capable of delivering the best possible horsepower and torque in its class, and known by the LGH engine code, it is rated at 525 lb-ft of torque and 260 horsepower.
The impressive Duramax LGH utilizes a sturdy and robust EGR cooling system, alongside a turbocharger with revised tuning to help enhance EGR performance. The Duramax also has a significant selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system which uses DEF or diesel exhaust fluid. This DEF is located within a 20L tank that needs to be replenished once every 5,000 miles or so. Lines heated by electric deliver DEF to the system of emissions ensure the best possible delivery during cold weather climates.
The Duramax powertrain also comes with the second-generation GM diesel particulate filter system. Unlike the majority of competitive systems, the Duramax carefully regenerates the particular filter using a downstream injection which is entered directly into the exhaust stream, travelling up to 700 miles between regenerations. The downstream injection also helps to elongate engine life by reducing concerns about cross-contamination between engine and diesel fuel.
The microprocessor glow-plugs of the Duramax also allows the Express Cutaway to perform phenomenally in cold weather, allowing for gas engine start performance in under three seconds within temperatures as small as -29 degrees C.
Developed to provide continuous performance for a minimum of 200,000 miles without needing a major overhaul, the Express Cutaway is also backed with a 160,000 km/five-year powertrain warranty. An available FOH (fuel operated heated) is available alongside vans that have been equipped with the 6.6L Duramax engine, allowing for heat to be provided quickly during cold weather. This carefully integrated system has been designed within the Express chassis itself, to save customers the energy and time associated with upfitting their aftermarket system. The fuel-operated, electronicallycontrolled heater operates on an automatic basis, turning off and on within certain parameters, such as fuel level, coolant temperature, air temperature outside, and engine use. This features a pressurized, self-contained auxiliary coolant heater that utilizes diesel fuel in generating as much as 5kW of heating energy.
The Duramax engine for the Chevrolet Express 2016 is backed by the Hydra-matic 6L90 GM automatic transmission with haul/tow mode.
Chevrolet Gas Engines
Standard on all of the 3500 models is the V-8 4.8L achieving 295 lb-ft of torque and 285 horsepower. On the other hand, the V-6 6.0L with available flex fuel configuration is available on other models and standard on the 4500. This option comes with a rating of 373 lb-ft of torque and 342 horsepower. Each member of the small-block engine family in GM is designed for quiet and effective operation using:
- Quieter alternator
- Timing chain tensioner
- Damping oil pan patch
- Floating piston pins
- Friction-reducing polymer coating on all piston skirts
These engines are quiet and resilient, validated under extreme testing conditions, with the 5.0L engine tested to the equivalent of 200,000 miles. The engines are also packed with long-life components capable of reducing maintenance costs, such as sealing gaskets, accessory drive belts, and engine coolant. Some of the stringent durability tests these vehicles went through include cycling engines between peak horsepower and torque points for up to 600 hours. The engines are all combined with the 6L90 Hydra-matic 6-speed automatic transmission.
Powertrain additional features include:
- Standard transmission cooler on all models
- Standard oil life monitor on all models
- High-idle switch available on all models
- Package for cold climate available on all models
- Available fuel-operated auxiliary heat generator on Duramax models
- Heavy-duty standard 770-CCA batteries on Duramax models
- Dual 145 amp alternators available and 160 amp alternators available
Suspension and Chassis
All of the Express 2016 Cutaway models feature power steering, an independent short-long arm suspension at the front, and four-wheel antilock disc brakes. To the rear, you will find multi-leaf springs and a hypoid drive axle. These vehicles are belt on ladder-type strong frame architecture and soft body-mount bolts and donuts are available for all models. Additional features of the suspension and chassis include:
- Axle ratios of 4.10, 3.73, 3.54 and 3.42
- Three or four fuel-tank configurations available on 6.0L 4500 model package and LPG package
- Available locking rear differential on all models